This statement informs you how The Francis Crick Institute Limited and its subsidiaries (the "Crick", "we" or "us") will collect, use and protect your personal data.
The Crick is committed to safeguarding your personal data and to complying with data protection laws, including the Data Protection Act 2018.
Data controllers and data protection officer's contact details
The Crick is the data controller for the personal data we process, unless stated otherwise. You can contact our data protection officer (DPO):
- by email to email@example.com
- or by writing to General Counsel, The Francis Crick Institute, 1 Midland Road, London, NW1 1AT
What information do we collect about you and how do we process it?
Data sharing and data transfers
We are based in the UK but we may use suppliers or third-party providers that are based or operate outside the UK or Europe, so your personal information may be transferred to countries where the data protection and privacy laws do not offer the same level of protection as the UK. If we have collected personal information from you for research, we might also transfer them to other organisations in other countries. You can find more information about this in the “Participating in research” section above.
We will take steps to ensure that appropriate safeguards (such as technical measures and contractual agreements), are in place to protect your personal information. Please contact us if you would like more information about these safeguards.
Our policy is only to retain information for as long as it is required for the purpose or purposes for which we use it. We will determine how long to retain different data based on the following requirements:
- How long the information is needed for;
- The purpose or purposes it is used for;
- Legal and regulatory requirements;
- Best practice.
Your data protection rights
Where we process your personal information, you have a number of rights under data protection law:
- your right to be informed if the Crick is using your personal information;
- you right to ask for copies of your personal information;
- the right to have your data rectified if its inaccurate;
- the right to erasure of information relating to you (only in certain circumstances);
- the right to object to direct marketing (by using the unsubscribe button on our emails);
- the right to object to processing carried out on the basis of legitimate interests;
- the right of data portability;
- the right to have your data restricted or blocked from processing.
Where we use your information for a specific purpose on the basis of consent you have the right to withdraw consent for that purpose at any time.
Please be aware that these rights are not always absolute and there may be some situations in which you cannot exercise them or they are not relevant. To help you understand how they work, we have provided link to the Information Commissioner's Office's guidance on each of the rights.
Security of information
We ensure there are appropriate technical and organisational controls in place to protect your personal details. Our network is protected and routinely monitored.
How to complain
You can contact us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries or concerns about how the Crick handles your personal information.
If we are unable to resolve your concerns about our handling of personal information, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office.
Changes to this policy
This privacy notice may change from time to time so we recommend that you review it periodically.
We will place any updates on this webpage.