Sandwich students join one of the Crick's research groups or science technology platforms for 12 months, working on a defined research project.
As well as benefitting from well-resourced research labs and state-of-the-art facilities, you will be provided with a supportive and stimulating work environment, and scientific and transferable skills training.
The Sandwich Student Programme starts with an induction which will introduce you to the Crick, how to work in its laboratories, and each other.
During the following year, you will attend internal and external seminars and take part in scientific and professional development training. Towards the end of the programme, you will receive training in scientific presentation skills before presenting your work at a Crick Sandwich Student Symposium.
What we offer
We provide successful applicants with:
- a place on the Crick sandwich student programme
- a 12-month full-time (36 hours per week) contract of employment as a sandwich placement laboratory research assistant
- a salary that meets the London Living Wage to cover living and travel costs during the placement.
- be registered at a UK university, and studying in the UK for an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline;
- be in their penultimate year of study at the time of applying;
- be studying on an undergraduate programme for which a sandwich / industrial placement year is a formal part of the degree, or must be able to demonstrate that they may interrupt their studies for 12 months to undertake a placement;
- have the legal right to work in the UK.
- Non-EU students studying full time in the UK at UK universities may apply, provided they can demonstrate that undertaking a sandwich / industrial placement year is a formal part of their undergraduate programme and that their student visa allows them to undertake full-time paid work for one year.
Students studying for degrees at universities outside the UK are not eligible for the programme.