We are looking for talented and motivated clinicians who are passionate about research, have a strong academic track record and have the potential to pursue a career as an academic clinician.
At the time of application, candidates for this competitive programme are expected to:
- hold a medical, dental or veterinary degree;
- have held clinical post following qualification with a medical, dental or veterinary degree;
- hold General Medical Council (GMC) registration or equivalent registration (eg GDC registration, RVCS registration, equivalent national registration outside the UK);
- have previous wet or dry lab research experience (desirable)
Note that these are 3-year full time positions on our PhD programme, to carry out research leading to the award of a PhD. As fellows will be enrolled in a full time PhD programme, there is limited time for participation in clinical activities and clinical activities do not form a structured part of the programme.
Views from fellows
Meet some of our doctoral clinical fellows and hear about their work at the Crick.Hear from the fellows
Funding & partners
These positions are fully funded for three years.
Successful candidates receive a salary commensurate with their current experience/stage of training (up to but not including NHS consultant level).
Clinical PhD trainees at the Crick thrive in an academic environment underpinned by world-class technical expertise in areas ranging from computational biology and genomics to cell and structural biology and imaging. This provides a firm foundation for clinicians with future academic career paths in mind.
They follow, or have access to, a three-year version of the Crick's PhD programme, which provides extensive scientific and general skills training and clinical mentoring.
As the fellows are enrolled in a full time PhD programme, there is limited participation in clinical activities.
Get in touch by email
Rebecca Morrison quote
The Crick is one of the most incredible places to do a PhD – you are surrounded by passionate and talented scientists from a large number of disciplines, with plenty of opportunities to collaborate and learn.
Before beginning an application you should read:
- the information on this page
- the available doctoral clinical fellow positions
- the information on the 'for applicants' page
Applications must be submitted through our recruitment system.
- You must complete all required sections of the application form in full.
- Your application must be submitted by the deadline: 12 noon (GMT), 15 November 2023.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- References should be received by 22 November 2023. Your application may still be considered if references are not received by this deadline. However, no applicant will be invited to interview unless references have been received.
After the reference deadline, your application will be available to the following people:
- members of the Crick's Academic Training Team (junior researchers) and the Crick's senior clinical management team for the purposes of checking eligibility;
- all recruiting supervisors, and potentially also relevant members of their groups for the purposes of shortlisting.
Shortlisted candidates' applications may also be available to the following people:
- members of the Crick's clinical steering committee for the purposes of final shortlisting;
- relevant funding partners for the purposes of checking eligibility for funding.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by 3 January 2024.
Candidates on the final shortlist will be invited to an interview day at the Crick, taking place on Thursday 25 January 2024.
During the interview day, candidates will meet members of the supervisory teams that shortlisted them and have a formal panel interview. Candidates will also be invited to attend two information sessions; one with the Crick’s academic training team to learn more about the Crick’s doctoral clinical fellows programme and one with some of our current doctoral clinical fellows.
2 October 2023
15 November 2023
Application deadline (12 noon GMT)
22 November 2023
Deadline for referees to submit references
By 2 January 2024
Shortlisted candidates invited to interview
25 January 2024