Salary for this Role:
Competitive with benefits, subject to skills and experience
Laboratory Research Officer – Schaefer Lab
Closing date and time:
9th May 2021 at 23:59
Senior Group Leader
This is a full-time, fixed term (2 years) position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
A Laboratory Research Officer position is available in the Schaefer lab. The lab in general aims to understand the coordinated activity of neurons in the mammalian brain produces behaviour, using a combination of physiological and behavioural methods.
The lab recently developed CHIME, a pioneering large-scale electrophysiology technique, which uses high density CMOS MEA chips combined with bundles of glass insulated metal electrodes to simultaneously record the activity of thousands of neurons in the mammalian brain at high temporal resolution. The lab set up a fabrication pipeline to efficiently fabricate recording bundles in the Crick Insitute and is planning to disseminate the technique to other labs and research institutes.
The lab is looking for a highly motivated, proactive and enthusiastic engineer for designing and performing the fabrication of CHIME electrode bundles.
The post-holder will be the key person to operate on and maintain the existing pipeline and perform experiments to improve and adapt the bundles to neuronal recordings.
The project will involve a variety of microfabrication techniques, Parylene coating, plasma ashing, electrochemistry and scanning electron microscopy.
The Laboratory Research Officers will work in collaboration with other lab members and the ability to work in a team is essential.
These include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining and operating the bundle fabrication pipeline
- Performing experiments to develop improvements on the bundle design and reproducibility
- Record keeping and data interpretation
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
The candidate should be open-minded, creative, energetic and bring strong expertise and experimental background in at least one of the fields of…
- BSc or equivalent in chemical or mechanical engineering
- Technical expertise with scientific precision instrumentation and good dexterity and ability to use fine, delicate instruments
- Experience of experimental design, project management and record keeping
- Ability to work independently and also capable of collaborating within a group
- Experience in interfacing with commercial equipment / apparatus.