Laboratory Research Scientist – Slide-seq Spatial Transcriptomics Platform
Reports to: Head of the Advanced Sequencing Facility
This is a full-time, fixed term (12 months) position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
Closing date: 2 July 2021, 23:59
Slide-seq is the first spatial transcriptomic technology to provide transcriptome-wide gene expression profiling with single cell spatial resolution. In collaboration with Samuel Rodriques, one of the inventors of Slide-seq and the founder of the Crick’s Applied Biotechnology Laboratory, the Crick is now establishing an internal platform to assist its laboratories in adopting Slide-seq to answer a variety of biological questions. This position is for a fixed-term Laboratory Research Scientist ( LRS) to lead the operation of the Crick’s Slide-seq platform. The postholder will be housed within the Advanced Sequencing Facility and will have the opportunity to support other research projects using a wide range of genomics applications, from receiving samples, through quality control checking, library preparation and sequencing.
The postholder’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operating the Slide-seq sequencing equipment, to produce arrays that Crick scientists can use for their Slide-seq experiments.
- Liaising with Crick laboratories and scientists to explain to them how Slide-seq works and how it can be used in their experiments.
- Helping potential users to plan their Slide-seq experiments.
- Teaching users how to run Slide-seq experiments.
- Helping users to analyse their Slide-seq data.
- Management of the Slide-seq equipment, lab, instruments and supplies on a daily basis.
- Keeping accurate laboratory records both on paper and electronically
- Support diverse research projects across the Institute using next generation sequencing technologies
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
- Higher education degree in bioengineering, molecular biology or similar
- Experience with next-generation sequencing
- Experience with microscopy
- Excellent organisational skills including thorough record-keeping
- Strong collaborative ability and teamwork experience
- Good interpersonal skills enabling the postholder to build effective relationships both within their team and in collaboration with colleagues
- Strong communication skills enabling the postholder to train and support colleagues effectively
- Experience with programming, especially in python
- Experience with fluidics