This is a full-time, permanent position, which is available immediately.
Provisional interview dates: 28 July 2021
The academic training team forms part of the Francis Crick Institute’s HR Directorate, and is responsible for the management, development and operation of the Crick’s Junior Research training programmes, including the PhD, Sandwich and Summer student programmes. It also oversees the appointment of visiting undergraduate, Masters and PhD students who are hosted in Crick laboratories for limited periods of time. The team is headed by the Director of Academic Training (Junior Researchers), and consists of nine staff who are responsible for delivering all aspects of the Crick’s junior researcher training programme. The Institute has approximately 200 PhD students across 4 years of study, up to 10 sandwich students spending 1 year at the Crick and hosts up to 20 summer students during July and August each year.
An opportunity has arisen for a well-organised and experienced professional to join this team. The PhD Recruitment Manager will take the lead on managing and running all aspects of the Crick’s non-clinical PhD Recruitment programme; recruiting and onboarding PhD students via two interview rounds each year and working with our university partners to manage the university admissions process and Crick Group Leader honorary appointments. To carry out this role, the successful candidate will liaise and work closely with other members of the Academic Training Team and HR, Crick group leaders, and key staff in the Crick and its university partners. The successful candidate will also support the rest of the academic training team in delivering the Crick’s junior researcher training programmes.
The purpose of this role is to ensure the successful recruitment, onboarding and university admission of approximately 50 PhD students each year.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Monitor student numbers and funding.
- Manage the annual recruitment call to Crick Group Leaders, and support the decision-making process.
- Manage the recruitment process for the Crick PhD programme, including advertising, online application system, shortlisting, interview programme.
- Monitor the budget relating to PhD student recruitment.
- Manage the university admission process with the Crick’s partner universities.
- Manage the Crick onboarding process for PhD students, using the Crick’s Employee Resource Platform Workday and in accordance with the standard operating procedures.
- Develop an understanding of Workday for the purposes of your role to ensure the maintenance of good quality data.
- Manage Crick Group Leader honorary appointments at the Crick’s partner universities.
- Keep informed on student immigration rules.
- Provide advice and guidance on international qualifications.
- Manage the Crick’s online Academic Recruitment System.
- Support the academic training team in other areas of their work during busy periods.
- Deal with recruitment-related enquiries from prospective candidates, applicants and supervisors.
- Deal with general enquiries to the academic training team.
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
- Educated to degree level, or significant work experience.
- Significant experience of working effectively in a demanding administrative environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of staff and students, including those for whom English is not the first language.
- Ability to prioritise busy workload and competing deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems and work under own initiative.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Prepared to work out of normal hours on occasion.
- Experience of working in Higher Education.
- Experience of university admissions processes.
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Experience of dealing in recruitment.
- Experience of managing IT systems.
- Project Management experience and/or qualification.