This is a full-time, permanent position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
Every year the media preparation service at the Francis Crick Institute manufactures thousands of litres of research reagents, including culture media, buffers, microbiological plates and drosophila diet. You will assist in the smooth running of this crucial support function, formulating and dispensing reagents for use in research.
Reporting to the Media Supervisor, the role will involve working closely with other members of the team, as well as scientists and other support services throughout the organisation. As a Media Technician you will assist with the effective running of the section.
These include but are not limited to:
- Producing, dispensing and sterilising products in a safe, accurate and reproducible method, following standard protocols
- Maintaining a supply of chemicals and consumables
- Operating equipment such as mixing vessels, autoclaves and analytical equipment
- Keeping key laboratory records, databases and files up to date
- Maintaining good operational state of key equipment and the working environment
- Liaising with internal clients over their requirements and delivery schedules
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
Qualifications, experience and competencies:
- Basic literacy and numeracy (e.g. GCSE Maths and English at grade A-C or equivalent)
- Basic understanding Chemistry (GCSE at grade A-C or equivalent)
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software
- Good organisational skills and an excellent eye for detail
- Ability to prioritise and manage own time
- Ability to carry out tasks involving lifting / manual handling particularly at the beginning and end of each day when loading and unloading autoclaves
Qualifications,experience and competencies:
- Qualification in a relevant scientific subject (e.g. Chemistry, Microbiology) at BTec or BSc level
- Experience of working in a scientific or healthcare environment
- Handling chemicals safely and accurately (weighing and measuring)
- Familiarity with general laboratory equipment (mixing vessels, sterilisation and filtration equipment)
- Accurate data recording