This is a full-time, permanent position on Crick Terms and Conditions of Employment.
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the world's leading research Institutes at a crucial time in its evolution, and play a definitive role in shaping it for the future. The Information Technology & Services team within The Francis Crick Institute is responsible for the implementation and operation of all IT functions which manage the running of the institute and enablement of science, along with the publication and library services provided to scientists. Within IT&S, the Service Design & Business Analysis team sit at the centre of Crick people, process and technology to ensure IT is deployed in the best way to deliver business outcomes, in line with Crick Strategy.
The role will be a leading driver in cross Institute collaboration, and be the face of the Service Design & Business Analysis team when discussing the approach to technology-led solutions across the Crick - with the confidence to propose and challenge solutions. Wherever possible the position will be championing the Business Analysis function in the Crick.
You will build your working knowledge of the Crick Operations functions and use this with your business analysis skills to produce business solution designs. You will be required to provide business analysis input from benefits case through design to transition. You will capture and prioritise requirements and lead analysis on solution design and validation, testing and go-live readiness support.
Communication skills are key to this role. You must be able to convey technical ideas, concepts and procedures in clear, concise and accurate English, and be able to manipulate text and images to create well-structured documentation that is easily absorbed by the target audience.
You will need to be comfortable creating & analysing business requirements documents, understanding and modelling business data structures and integrations, assessing and documenting current and future practices/processes and data flows.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as the bridge between key user stakeholders and the strategy, design and transition teams within IT&S to capture the feasibility and impact of proposed solutions, approaches and technology changes, including the assessment of new technologies.
- Work closely with business stakeholders at all levels up to Director and Group Leader level, to guide them to articulate the business problem, not the solution
- Elicit, assess and prioritise user requirements and processes through workshops, interviews and other elicitation methods.
- Translate functional and technical requirements into meaningful solution design documentation needed to ensure the successful specification of development requirements and verify that design meets these requirements.
- Liaise closely with IT&S and external supplier technical teams, to ensure design solution meets customer quality expectations, including test validation and effective change management controls
- Work with UX and software engineers to ensure development meets solution design
- Deliver system, data, integrations and business analysis expertise in line with agreed Service design processes and standards
- Co-ordinate workload of junior business analyst in the team
Key experience and competencies
The ideal applicant will have proven substantial and successful business partnering and analysis experience working with operational stakeholders as customers and technical teams as service providers. In addition, experience of leading business analysis good practices, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively are essential.
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: Bold, Imaginative, Open, Dynamic and Collegial, in addition to the following:
- Degree or equivalent qualification
- Demonstrate relevant work experience, ideally in scientific, clinical or healthcare research setting
- Proven track record as a Business Analyst in the Technology industry, working with UX and software engineers to ensure quality solution outcomes
- Recently worked as a Business Analyst in IT/Business operational environment
- Experience of eliciting, analysing, prioritising and documenting business requirements and iteratively tracking them through the delivery lifecycle
- Experience of modelling requirements, writing use case diagrams & notations, mapping data flows, and producing entity relationship diagrams, logical data and class modelling techniques and other technical analysis focused documentation
- Ability to convey operational ideas, concepts and procedures to create well-structured documentation that is easily understood by target users
- Strong Stakeholder Management skills with a proven ability to work with and influence senior stakeholders across multiple business functions
- Experience building and sustaining effective professional working relationships within IT and wider business environment
- Leading on a variety of concurrent business analysis assignments
- Experience of working with Commercial off the shelf (COTS) and enterprise wide solutions, data integration and business intelligence tools, whether SaaS, cloud hosted or on premise
- Experience of working with enterprise resource planning (ERP) quality or service management systems
- Writing compelling business cases and providing robust business benefit management approaches
- Hold recognised Business Analysis qualifications such as ISEB BA and provide examples of significant equivalent practical experience
- Experience of working with technology to support quality management, assurance or compliance system standards
- Experience with other methodologies e.g. Prince2, ITIL, Agile
- Experience conducting feasibility studies, options and making persuasive recommendations to senior stakeholders