Engineering Technician Apprentice
We advertise new apprenticeships alongside other Crick vacancies, and we encourage existing staff to consider if a Professional Apprenticeship Programme would be appropriate for them as a development opportunity.
Apprenticeships give the opportunity to learn and practise new skills in the workplace, all while you are being paid to do a job which contributes to the Crick. Learn more about apprenticeships.
This vacancy in the Crick's Mechanical Engineering team is with Harrow College & Uxbridge College and applications will be handled by their team.
At completion of this Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship, you will become a qualified and competent mechanical engineering technician or instrument maker with skills, knowledge and experience in:
- Hand tools and fabrication
- CAD software
- Manual and CNC machining, working with a wide range of materials in the metal and polymer families.
During the apprenticeship, you'll be expected to:
- Attend all college classes.
- Record practical work required for your course(s) in the prescribed manner.
- Attend apprentice learning events run by the Crick.
- Fully engage in review meetings with your manager and training provider.
- Maintain agreed progress in all theory and practical work required for your apprenticeship.
- To conduct work as required by your mentor or practical trainer.
- To gain experience and knowledge and engineering skills to enable you to become competent to work as you progress through your apprenticeship.
- Comply with Crick policies and procedures including but not limited to safety, health and sustainability.
- Follow direction on all health and safety procedures.
- Work within the parameters of agreed safe working practices according to your level of competence at the time.
- Challenge any practices or situations you consider to be unsafe.
- Always wear appropriate clothing and PPE.
- Keep your work environment clean and tidy, and keep PPE and tools in good repair.
- Use all tools and equipment only for their proper use.
Mandatory; GCSE Grade 5 in Maths and Grade 4 in English
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisational skills
- Problem solving skills
- Analytical skills
Training to be provided
Apprentices will be required to attend college at least one day per week either at Uxbridge, Harrow or Hayes Campus completing necessary mandatory training and units associated with the apprenticeship.
The apprentice will be required to:
- Work towards gaining a full Level 3 Engineering Qualification.
- Employment rights and responsibilities.
- Skills, knowledge, and behaviours.
- Standard and End Point Assessment.
- Functional Skills in English, Maths, and ICT (if required).
Other training will be provided by the employer as required to enable the fulfilment of the job role.