This is a permanent and full-time position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
This role will report to the Head of IT Service Management and will be based at the Francis Crick Institute to provide 1/2nd line support to over 3,000 users.
These include but are not limited to:
- Working on a shift pattern of 8am – 6pm Mon – Fri in the ITO Helpdesk team, providing a single point of contact service for all Francis Crick employees and commercial partners.
- Providing 1st and 2nd line IT support to macOS, Windows XP, 7, 10 and Linux (Rocky, CentOS, Ubuntu) operating systems, with primary focus on resolving issues on FPOC by using remote software or when necessary, by desk visit.
- Lead on employee onboarding and technical training events, providing inductions as required.
- Manage stock asset management, ensuring levels remain at buffer stock and liaising with vendors to replenish when required.
- Ensuring all technical issues and queries received via slack, phone, email, self-service portal or walk-up are logged, tracked and actioned according to agreed processes and best practice.
- Providing a service that is responsive to customer needs by solving as many problems as quickly and directly as possible; if necessary, liaising with other ITO staff to complete the resolution of the customer needs.
- Participate as required, and as directed by the relevant ITO team members, in the following administrative processes: recording software licenses, incident management, service request management and problem management and continual improvement.
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values; bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
- The ideal candidate is someone who has experience working on a busy IT helpdesk, supporting a predominately Mac environment.
- A proven track record of delivering high quality customer service both in person and virtually.
- A demonstrable ability to prioritise effectively in response to competing demands from customers.
- A demonstrable ability to “put yourself” in the place of customers and ensure that the service provided is meeting their needs.
- A “can do” approach to responding to customer queries.
- Entry level Networking qualification and CompTia A+ qualification or working towards.
- Good understanding and experience of using ITIL v3/v4 in a working environment.
- Previous experience providing 1st/2nd line support for macOS/Windows devices is essential.
- Experience using/supporting JAMF & SCCM to deploy applications and patches, report on and manage end user devices.
- Experience providing IT support to VIPs whilst managing expectations and communicating clearly and effectively to ensure high standards are met.
- Good networking knowledge; of troubleshooting LAN, DNS, DHCP and TCP/IP issues on both macOS, Linux and Windows devices.
- Previous experience of using an IT call-logging system for service requests and incident management. Use of ServiceNow an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong organisational skills and a demonstrable ability to manage own time effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrable ability to build effective relationships at all levels.
- Liaising with vendors, suppliers and professional services. Coordinating hardware maintenance and repairs with vendors.
- Quick learner with proven ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Contribute to departmental projects as needed and be able to create and maintain operational support documentation.
- Extensive experience administering a range of Microsoft technologies (O365, Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, InTune).
- Experience of using/supporting the following applications an advantage; Splunk, Okta, Workday, Jenkins, GlobalProtect, Zoom, Dropbox, Slack, Condeco, CrashPlan, Sophos, UniFlow, Parallels Desktop/Client, Adobe Creative Cloud, MS Office
- Experience with JAMF MDM and Microsoft InTune to support iOS and Android devices.
- Previous experience of supporting and troubleshooting Linux distributions, preferably CentOS, Rocky Linux or Ubuntu.
- Previous experience with Network Patching, including basic knowledge of switch commands and VLANs.
- Good understanding of GPO, PowerShell, Command line and terminal commands. Knowledge of Linux scripting an advantage.
- Previous experience supporting Meeting rooms configuring and troubleshooting video projectors and Zoom room conference systems an advantage