Programme Administrator (KQ Labs)
In the Crick's Translation Entrepreneurship Team.
Part of Crick Operations.
Programme Administrator (KQ Labs)
Reports to: KQ Labs Lead
This is a fixed-term appointment which can be full-time or part-time (minimum 4 days per week) on Crick Terms and Conditions of Employment. Contract until July 2024
The Francis Crick Institute is a partnership between the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK (CRUK), the Wellcome Trust, University College London (UCL), Imperial College London and King’s College London. It is a registered charity whose purpose is to conduct biomedical research into all aspects of human health and disease.
The institute is a leading centre of biomedical research and innovation. It promotes connections between researchers and disciplines and between academic institutions, healthcare organisations and businesses. Dedicated to research excellence, the institute has the scale, vision and expertise to tackle the most challenging scientific questions underpinning health and disease. It has a strong national role — training scientists and developing ideas for public good.
Data science and AI are predicted to transform health and life sciences, and will be an increasingly powerful enabler in facilitating research, efficiency, diagnosis and personalised health care. KQ Labs is the only accelerator programme dedicated entirely to data driven health, providing start-ups with long term support and global reach. KQ Labs was established in 2018 supported by the Francis Crick Institute, four cohorts of 10 companies have now graduated through the programme, and a fifth cohort graduating in April 2023. The ten rigorously selected start-ups complete a five-month programme, which includes workshops with experts tailored to data driven health, a convertible loan (£40k), training in transferable skills and peer to peer learning, mentoring by a hand-picked network of experts, and introductions to investors and corporates, culminating in a Demo Day where they pitch to a room full of investors and corporates (150-180 people). The support to the companies continues on an as needed basis, particularly in the form of introductions and connections, once they form part of the KQ Labs alumni community.
We are looking for a highly organised Administrator to support the efficient administration of KQ Labs, an accelerator programme delivered by the Francis Crick Institute for early stage data-driven health start-ups from across the UK.
You will be working in a fast-paced environment that will require strong organisational and problem-solving skills. You will use your proactive attitude to support the delivery of a world-class accelerator programme and will be joining a driven, energetic and agile team.
The core of the accelerator is a five-month training programme tailored to digital health with weekly workshops from experts, funding in the form of a £40k convertible loan, introductions to investors and corporates, and mentoring by a hand-picked network of experts. The programme culminates in a Demo Day event, where the start-ups present to an audience of 150-200 investors.
KQ Labs activities are evolving continuously, so there are likely to be other programmes and events that you can get involved in.
Key duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Provide proactive and effective administrative support to the team
- Conduct legal administration to process the £40k convertible loans which will include document management and liaising with different stakeholders
- Diary management for the team including organising and minuting meetings and workshops
- Organise and oversee KQ Labs events, ensuring their smooth running and audience enjoyment
- Maintain databases and contact lists to ensure accuracy
- Maintain impact reporting templates and produce reports for the KQ Labs team
- Efficiently process invoices, expenses, payments and finances
- Arrange travel and accommodation for staff when required
- Answer queries, compose and answer routine correspondence, type and proofread/format documents on request, acting as the first point of contact for KQ Labs
- Ad hoc administration duties for the Crick Entrepreneur in Residence.
KEY EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: Bold, Open and Collegial, in addition to the following:
- Previous administrative experience including exceptional time management skills and attention to detail.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise in the face of competing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to show initiative and management of own workload
- Demonstrable ability to manage large volumes of data and produce simple reports with that information
- Demonstrable ability to efficiently manage multiple, concurrent activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Proficient with Microsoft or Google office tools (e.g. Excel/Sheets, Word/Docs, PowerPoint/Slides)
- Previous experience of working in an administrative or entrepreneurial environment (e.g. an accelerator programme or start-up); or in an academic or research environment
For this role we offer hybrid working with the expectation being at least 60% office working and 40% homeworking. During busy periods, for example prior to and during in person events, the post holder could be required to work 100% in the office.