Marketing Manager (Research and Partnerships) – Communications
Reports to: Research Communications and Public Affairs Lead
This is a full-time, permanent position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
We have an exciting opportunity to join a creative team of science communicators at the Francis Crick Institute. We’re looking for a proactive and experienced marketing manager to build the global reputation of the Crick and extend the reach of our brand. Using your excellent communication skills and strong interest in science, you will manage branded communications campaigns and activity aimed at engaging the biomedical research community, strategic partners and our philanthropic supporters.
The Communications and Public Engagement team includes around 30 staff working across a wide range of projects and activities encompassing education outreach in the local community, exhibitions, public engagement in science, media and public affairs, and digital and internal communications. This is a busy and responsive team that supports the operational effectiveness of the Institute as well as delivering its promise to “engage and inspire” the public in scientific research and its outputs.
Led by the Director of Communications and Public Engagement, this team seeks to develop the profile and reputation of the Crick as an Institute that is grounded in its local community while producing science that matters to the world. It is a creative team that is dedicated to science story-telling and connects with a wide and complex array of external partners in the university, commercial, philanthropic, media, educational, public engagement and museum sectors.
The Research Marketing Manager will be responsible for engaging key audiences with the Crick’s research activity and events. They will work with teams across the institute and have oversight of marketing activity in support of philanthropic giving, commercial strategy, research translation, scientific recruitment and research events. Sitting within the Crick’s media team, the post-holder will also be expected to keep on top of the latest news from within the institute and use this insight to create compelling and timely communications and content.
These include but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing a marketing strategy to raise the Crick’s profile and reputation among key audiences.
- Creating a programme of engaging marketing and communications activity, in support of a range of strategic initiatives, including:
- Philanthropic engagement
- Commercial partnerships
- Translation of discoveries
- Scientific recruitment
- Research events
- Strategic partnerships
- Take a leading role in managing communications for the Crick’s multi-million-pound philanthropy campaign, coordinating activity and having oversight of content.
- Working across communications channels to deliver targeted content in support of key announcements, events and schemes.
- Gathering insight from strategic partners and in-house experts to inform communications and marketing plans.
- Maintain to and champion our brand and house style, implementing consistent practices and delivering guidance to colleagues.
- Project managing the delivery of branded publications and multi-media content.
- Managing agencies and freelancers to produce high-quality communications and content.
- Working closely with the Crick’s digital team to uphold the institute’s visual and brand identity.
- Responding to the fast-paced science news generated at the Crick and maximising the value and reach of science communications from the Institute.
- Acting as a key liaison between the Crick and communications teams at our funders and partners.
- Managing key stakeholder relationships.
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, open and collegial, in addition to the following:
Qualifications, experience and competencies:
- Experience delivering marketing strategies, ideally within the research, financial or pharmaceutical sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, with proven experience in writing communications to different audiences and an ability to identify compelling narratives.
- Experience developing and implementing brand guidelines.
- Awareness of current trends in the digital marketing and communications landscape with an eye for future opportunities.
- Demonstrable interest in science communication, with a strong understanding of issues affecting the science sector.
- Strong analytical skills and experience evaluating impact.
- Highly organised with an ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and work efficiently with the help of other team members and project teams.
- Experience in collaborative project management and managing multiple stakeholders.
- Calm and effective under pressure, with the ability to prioritise in the face of competing demands and work to tight deadlines.
Qualifications, experience and competencies:
- Familiarity and experience with social media marketing
- Experience working with philanthropic audiences.
- Experience working effectively in complex institutions (and/or with complex networks of stakeholders).
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
We welcome applications from all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities, regardless of ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, pregnancy, age, disability, or civil partnership, marital or family status. We particularly welcome applications from people who are Minority Ethnic as they are currently underrepresented in the Crick at this level.
Diversity is essential to excellence in scientific endeavour. It increases breadth and perspective, leading to more innovation and creativity. We want the Crick to be a place where everyone feels valued and where diversity is celebrated and seen as part of the foundation for our Institute’s success.
The Crick is committed to creating equality of opportunity and promoting diversity and inclusivity. We all share in the responsibility to actively promote dignity, respect, inclusivity and equal treatment and it is our aim to ensure that these principles are reflected and implemented in all strategies, policies and practices.
Read more on our website: https://www.crick.ac.uk/careers-and-study/life-at-the-crick/equality-diversity-and-inclusion
For more information on our great pay and benefits you can read more here: https://www.crick.ac.uk/careers-and-study/life-at-the-crick/pay-and-benefits