Laboratory Operations Assistant – Service Delivery
Reports to: Quadrant Manager – Service Delivery
This is a full-time, permanent post, on Crick terms & conditions. Laboratory Operations Assistant salary from £23,390, with opportunity for candidates to progress to a Laboratory Operations Technician role, salary from £27,000.
As a member of the Service Delivery team, the post-holder will provide support for the research and Science Technology Platform (STP) laboratories based at the Francis Crick Institute on Midland Road. Laboratory Operations Assistants (LOAs) are typically assigned to one quadrant, but are expected to work in other areas as required and therefore daily tasks may vary. This role allows the opportunity to develop into a more technical post where duties include supporting with stock management; scientific equipment maintenance, Health & Safety management & working with scientific groups to ensure the smooth running of the laboratories.
These include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining the organisation and cleanliness of the laboratory areas including the removal of waste.
- Handling hazardous materials safely and according to protocols, including preparing hazardous waste for safe disposal
- Delivering consumables and other items to members of the research labs
- Stock management of the quadrant's supply store, including stock checking, updating the online/ electronic stock control book, receiving deliveries and restocking the store areas
- Be proficient in filling Liquid Nitrogen vessels as required. Training will be given.
- Care and cleaning of scientific equipment and organizing reagents and chemicals. Appropriate training will be provided
- Any other duties as specified by the Quadrant Manager.
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
- Minimum of Mathematics, science and English GCSE and/or experience gained in a relevant technical or service provision role
- Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Able to accurately follow work instructions, record information and carry out tasks in a diligent manner.
- Excellent communication skills in order to interact with lab members and assist in co-ordinating lab activities
- Able to work independently as well as collaborate effectively within the team
- Able to respond proactively to contacts in immediate area to ensure provision of service to the laboratories and escalate issues as necessary to QM
- Excellent organisational skills
- The role requires walking around a large facility covering several floors
- An interest in science
- Experience in stock management, ordering products and services
- Understanding of Health & Safety regulation and waste management
- A keen interest in a career within Laboratory Operations. The role offers candidates the opportunity to develop into a Laboratory Operations Technical role.
The Francis Crick Institute (the Crick) is a research institute dedicated to discovering the fundamental biology underlying human health, with the aim of improving the treatment, diagnosis and prevention of human disease.
The Crick was formed on 1 April 2015 and is a registered charity. It is a partnership between the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK (CRUK), the Wellcome Trust, University College London (UCL), Imperial College London and King’s College London.
The institute is a world-leading centre of biomedical research and innovation, with the scale, vision and expertise to tackle the most challenging scientific questions underpinning health and disease. It will have a strong national role, training scientists and developing ideas for public good.
From the second half of 2016, the Crick has been located in a new, purpose-built research centre in central London (next to St Pancras International), housing some 1,250 researchers and 250 support staff.