This is a full-time permanent position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
The Francis Crick Institute (the Crick) is a partnership between the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK (CRUK), the Wellcome Trust, University College London (UCL), Imperial College London and King’s College London. It is a registered charity whose purpose is to conduct biomedical research into all aspects of human health and disease.
The position of Assistant Financial Accountant is a key role in the Finance Operations team, involved in key processes which underpin the sound management of both the Record to Report / General Ledger function and the Order to Cash / Accounts Receivable processes, as well as supporting other control and compliance processes.
This is a role for a part-qualified accountant with significant accounting experience, who is able to work efficiently and accurately, and work towards wider departmental objectives ensuring the success of the finance function as a whole.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Cashiering responsibility for the Crick’s bank accounts, allocating receipts and payments, posting journals and setting up payments.
- Play a key role in the delivery of the month end process, including posting of accruals and prepayments, providing additional analysis where required.
- Preparation of key balance sheet reconciliations, providing accurate and timely reconciliations as part of the month end close including liaison with other teams where necessary.
- Contribute to the year end process, assisting with the preparation of the statutory accounts and year end audit, liaising with auditors to provide additional analysis as required.
- Preparing the set-up of new customers within the finance system and maintenance of the Customer Masterfile.
- Raise sales invoices for non-grant income, including the monitoring and maintenance of rental collections.
- Monitor collections ensuring debts are paid in a timely manner.
- Working with the Grants Management team, assist in monitoring of debt and collections for grant income.
- Maintain and circulate accurate up to date aged debtor reports for management information.
- Support the Financial Accounting Manager and the Finance Systems team in ensuring that high quality processes and controls are in place, and reflected in documented process maps. This includes assisting with the ongoing continuous improvement of the Workday system.
- Maintain an awareness of the tax position of the Crick and have the confidence to escalate issues encountered.
- Customer-focused response to ad-hoc queries as they arise through the ServiceNow ticketing system.
- Participate in ad-hoc finance projects.
Skills & Experience
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, open, collegial, in addition to the following:
- AAT or part-qualified accountant studying towards ACA, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA qualification.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both written and oral, able to engage with people at all levels inside and outside the Crick.
- Highly organised and excellent attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Able to contribute towards problem solving and process improvement in the team.
- A team worker, able to work flexibly with others and contribute effectively across a broad range of activities.
- Highly IT literate with sound knowledge of MS Office.
- Experience of using Workday Financials.
- Previous experience of working with not-for-profit / charity reporting requirements and tax environment.
- Previous experience of working in an academic environment.