Q&A: Brexit and recruitment

The Crick will always be open and welcoming to scientists and students from around the world. We are proud to be a diverse and international institute, with staff from more than 70 countries. 40% of our scientists and 55% of our postdocs are EU nationals.


What is the impact of Brexit on the Crick?

Though Brexit is undoubtedly harmful to UK science, we believe the Crick’s international make-up and reputation mean that we will continue to attract the world’s best scientists after the UK leaves the EU. We haven’t seen any reduction in the number of talented international researchers wanting to come here.

Crick staff are also working closely with the government and partners to ensure that a damaging no-deal Brexit is avoided. Instead, scientists must be able to move easily across Europe, participate fully in EU programmes and work seamlessly with partners across the channel. EU membership delivers this incredibly effectively, but if the UK leaves the EU, we will push for a deal that provides certainty in these areas.

Will EU nationals be able to come to the UK after Brexit?

If a Brexit deal is agreed, free movement for EU citizens will continue during the transition period which is expected to run until 31 December 2020. It is not clear what rules would apply to Europeans entering the UK to work in the event of no-deal. 
However, the Crick will remain open and welcoming to scientists and students from around the world. We will work with the government and partners to ensure that EU scientists are supported in the event of no-deal, and to actively shape plans for the UK’s future immigration system which is expected to be implemented from 2021. Critically, this new system must be simple, transparent and keep costs to a minimum.

Does the Crick cover visa costs?

The Crick covers visa costs for our international scientists and their families, including the NHS surcharge – this enables people to access the UK’s Health Service. The Crick also pays for all visa costs including the NHS surcharge for PhD students that need to be sponsored on a student (Tier 4) visa.