KQ Labs is an accelerator programme for early-stage data-driven health startup founders, to support them to validate their ideas and put their startups on a path to receive investment from business angel investors, venture capital and other sources including non-dilutive funding.
The accelerator is called KQ Labs to represent the ‘Knowledge Quarter’ area around the King’s Cross, Euston and Bloomsbury regions of the city. The KQ Labs accelerator represents a unique opportunity to foster a vibrant ecosystem for data-driven health.
Run by the Francis Crick Institute and funded by LifeArc, KQ Labs offers a customised framework, providing critical expertise and support to ten carefully selected companies, all solving significant healthcare challenges. The programme runs annually between October-March.
Who is eligible?
The programme is aimed at early-stage data driven health entrepreneurs looking for support to validate their ideas and develop their business goals in a supportive and enriching environment. The programme is open to start-ups who have:
- A focus on areas which have the potential to have a significant impact on health, and where use of data is a core part of the business model
- Two or more founders or team members
- A Minimum Viable Product, prototype or proof of concept
- An early stage company (pre-series A)
- A team based in the UK
- The start-up's legal entity must be UK-based
Register your interest
What does the programme offer?
What does the KQ Labs programme involve?
The programme kicks off with an intensive week with daily workshops for the selected startup teams (end of October), which all of the startups are expected to attend. This is to allow the KQ Labs team to get to know the new startups so as to identify any gaps and mentoring needs.
This is followed by a 5 month programme with once-weekly workshops (generally on Wednesdays) and seminars covering topics such as fundraising, pitch training, business models, team building and leadership, scaling, intellectual property, regulatory aspects, market access (UK and internationally), and various aspects of access to data including ethics. We will also facilitate introductions and mentoring with a hand-picked network of experts, investors and corporates.
The programme culminates in a Demo Day in March, where the startups pitch their ideas to potential investors and partners, including VCs, angel investors and pharma.
Why choose KQ Labs?
Why choose the KQ Labs Accelerator Programme?
- Specialised investor introductions
- Introductions to major corporates, especially pharma
- Mentoring opportunities with a hand-picked network of experts
- £40k funding in the form of a convertible loan
- Tailored and customised weekly workshops covering:
- Data accessibility and ethics
- Finance and fundraising
- Customer and market focus
- Leadership and team building
- Cybersecurity and IT Governance
- Communications and pitching practice
- Regulatory requirements
- Protecting Intellectual Property
- Corporate legal aspects
- Market access (UK and international)
- Grant funding and writing
- Pharma Office Hours