Qualifications and history
- 1978-1981 PhD Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
- 1982-1989 Research Associate Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, USA
- 1989-2015 Team Leader Medical Research Council National Institute for Medical Research (MRC-NIMR), London, UK
- 2001-2015 Head, Division of Virology, MRC-NIMR, London, UK
- 2015 Senior group Leader, the Francis Crick Institute, London, UK
Jonathan was born in Oxford but studied for a BA degree in Natural Sciences at the University of Cambridge (1970-73). He then worked as a technician for five years in Basel, Switzerland before embarking on research supervised by Christoph Moroni leading to a PhD from the University of Basel.
Next, he joined John Coffin’s lab in Boston, USA spending seven years (1982-89) as a research associate before returning to the UK with an appointment at the MRC’s National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR). Since 2015 he has been a Senior Group Leader at the Francis Crick Institute. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2017.